Booking a visit
- Mon-Sun 09:00 AM - 09:30 PM
Phone: +91 9545559434
The most common questions asked by patients after knee surgery are, when will I get relief from pain? When can I start driving? Or what is the likely time of full recovery? Etc. most patients take 6-12 weeks post-surgery to heal as it also depends on the type of surgery, whether you’ve had an ACL reconstruction, minor arthroscopy, or knee replacement.
The 12 weeks following knee surgery are very crucial for healing and recovery because the risk of stiffness and loss of range of movement in the joint is maximized. To prevent you from such risk, your physiotherapist designs an exercise program that helps you in mobility, pacifies your pain, and also maintains your balance.
As you begin to recover
Commit yourself to an exercise plan to stay active in the first 3 weeks will help you heal faster. Given below are some of easy to do exercises for knee replacement that can be easily performed by patients:
- Ankle Pumps: Lay straight on your back. Keep your knees extended, point your toes up so your sole feels flat then smoothly point your toes down. Hold your toes in each stretch for about 4-5 seconds. After completing one round return on your toes so that your foot is perpendicular to the ground.
- Knee Press: Sit on your bed and keep your legs straight. Now keep a towel roll under your ankle, press it down by narrowing your thigh muscle, and hold it for 10 seconds each. Relax and repeat with another leg.
- Straight Leg Raise: Lay straight on your back with a healthy leg bent and your foot should be flat on the surface, now tighten your thigh and lift your leg, do not bend your knee while lifting your leg. Repeat it with another leg.
- Sitting Knee Extension: Sit straight in a chair and keep another chair in front. Put your involved leg gently on the chair, straighten your knee and hold for 10 seconds. Repeat with another leg.
- Heel Raises: Stand straight while holding on to the supportive surface. Lift your both knees off the ground, hold for 10 seconds then gently come back to starting position. Repeat same exercise 4-5 times.
- Knee bend: Sit straight in a chair now cross your healthy leg in front of your operated ankle, push your operated leg backward assist it with the bending of the knee. Hold it for 10 seconds and repeat it 2-3 times.